Finally, I am back to getting some time for recipe testing. The past few weeks have been very busy, but I am glad to be writing again. I will have a lot more content soon. My recipe today was inspired by my love and wanting for pizza, but not wanting something greasy or loaded with cheese. I am trying to be really good to my body for wellness and health reasons, but I do not deprive myself. I am traveling this weekend, so I know there will be plenty of times to indulge then, so I did not want to indulge today. I was pretty excited with the outcome of this pizza, and shocked that it fulfilled my craving and that I got so many nutrients in! Also, this pizza traveled well (I had it for dinner at work and it held together great!)
You might be questioning the recipe when looking at the ingredients. There are no tomatoes, no pepperoni, and a lot of greens! As my wonderful friend Ryan would say, this pizza is on the Emilee diet (putting kale in EVERYTHING!) So what did I do to make it taste more like pizza and less like salad on bread? I incorporated some of my favorite pizza flavors, olives, basil, and crushed red pepper. This gave me some pizza flavor without overloading on greasy or unhealthy toppings. Not that tomatoes are unhealthy, but they are higher in sugar, carbs and acid. I also wanted to experiment with a sauce different than the usual pizza sauce…and wow, I am glad I did!
Green Monster Pizza Recipe
This recipe yields enough ingredients for one 8-inch pizza. You can adjust for your pizza size needs! I also want to note, you can use any kind of dough that you please. Mine is a frozen, corn-based crust because I am gluten-free, but you can choose your own crust adventure (maybe zucchini crust for even more greens!!)
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 1 cup kale
- 1/2 cup your favorite herb (I used basil, but parsley would work great too!)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese (I used a fiesta blend because it’s what I had, but any cheese works great, including vegan!)
- 1/2 cup steamed broccoli
- 1/2 cup steamed kale
- 1/4 various bell peppers, steamed and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped black olives
- Drizzle of olive oil (optional)
- Preheat your oven to the appropriate temperature for your pizza crust. Mine was 425 °F, but times will vary.
- Place your crust on parchment paper on a baking sheet. This calls for easy clean up!
- In a blender or food processor, combine sauce ingredients. The water will help the kale and herbs get incorporated with the avocado.
- Spread your sauce all over your pizza crust.
- Time to add your cheese! Sprinkle the desired amount (I won’t judge you if 3/4 cup is not enough!)
- Next, take your steamed broccoli and kale and arrange on the pizza.
- Now comes for those bell pepper slices and black olives.
- Drizzle with olive oil for an extra crispness on the veggies.
- Cook to the time recommended for your crust. Mine was 12-15 minutes.
- Take your pizza out of the oven and let sit for 2-5 minutes.