I love chocolate. Well, some chocolate. But it’s Valentine’s Day so chocolate is required right? In my mind, yes! But, it does not need to be an unhealthy indulgence. Today, I came up with a recipe for brownies that has no added sugar, no flour (gluten-free babes), low carbs, high protein, and it’s vegan! Normally, with all that no this and no that, recipes turn out to taste nothing like what they are portrayed to be. This one is part of the exception. These taste like brownies, but with even more flavors.
Not-So-Chunky Monkey Protein Brownies Recipe
This recipe yields about 9 brownies depending on your size of baking dish. I used a 9×9, but you can adjust based on what you have! You can also add any other flavors, such as dried fruits (cranberries would be good) or nuts like peanuts or walnuts. Feel free to customize with the protein powder too. I used gluten-free chocolate, but try whatever flavor you have on hand.
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup nut butter of your choice (I used peanut butter but almond or sunbutter would be great)
- 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder (I used GNC’s gluten-free)
- 1/3 cup coco powder (natural, unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dark chocolate chips (optional; semi sweet also works)
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl. Using a hand mixer on medium speed, mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Line your pan with parchment paper. Spread the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes (or for firmer brownies, 25 minutes).
- Let them cool completely.
Store leftovers in the fridge so they stay firm and fresh.